Friday 17 May 2013

Round 8 - OMG I'm getting too old for this !!!!

OMG!!! I am getting too old for such suspenseful matches like this!!! Those bloody Weavils  I was ruing the fact that I picked them. It was a close match as I said it would be but the Kangaroos were in the lead for much of the match, it wasn't by much, and the Weavils did hit the lead a time or two but the Kangaroos seemed to have their measure and be able to keep their noses in front. Come the final term the Kangaroos remained in front, and as the term wore on, it seemed more and more like the Weavils were about to let me down! I was thinking.... Damn it!!!! I knew I should have picked the Kangaroos!!! I was getting those Piranhas ready for those Weavils, and they were getting so hungry in anticipation that they were jumping out of the water!! haha!! Then.... OMG!!!!.... right at virtually the last moment that dark guy with the dreadlocks, Naitanui, took a mark in front of goals and he ended up scoring that goal after the siren!! Talk about get out of jail for free card!!! It was more get saved from Piranhas for free card - I don't think they had such a card in Monopoly!! LOL!! The Weavils scored a two-point victory, a good start to my round on both counts. Not only I gotten that all important first up point for my tipping, I also gained a low points variance. I nominated 5 points, and the Weavils won by 2 points, giving me just 3 points added to my cumulative total.

Mind you those Weavils probably paid the umpires to give those free kicks in front of goals. The Weavils won two free kicks in front of goals in the last 2 mins. The first one from inside 50m they messed up big time, typical Weavils they can't perform under pressure!! A Kangaroo player took the mark in the last line of defence and as he cleared the kick I thought the Weavils were finished, they've blown their final chance, and those Piranhas were jumping out of the water in anticipation of a meal of Weavils!! But alas!! The umpires gave another free kick in front of goals, well it was a bit outside 50m but a last chance nonetheless. Naitanui took the mark, and well as they say, the rest is history!! Uh well it doesn't matter how the Weavils won, the important thing is I had gotten that all important first point from the first match! And a low points variance to add to my seeming good fortunes!!

Now for today's matches. Will I be able to keep my points intact?? Hmmmm...... First we have the Bombers against the Lions. The Bombers will be hurting from their loss last week ending their unbeaten run so will be wanting to make amends, and the unfortunate Lions seems destined to be more like sacrificial lambs in the Bombers' quest to redeem themselves. True enough there are no certainties in football but this can be judged as a near-certainty, it should be easily my 2nd point from two matches.

Next are Hawthorn against the Giants, and the odds are so short according to the bookies that anyone placing a $100 bet for a Hawks win will only gain a penny for their troubles! Even the odds for a 39+ points margin is very short, a $100 bet will only give a single dollar!! I think the Hawks have been virtually penciled in for an almost certain win. But as I say there are no such creatures as certainties in football nevertheless unless the Hawks are abducted by aliens or a black hole falls into the Hawks' nest and suck them into a parallel universe just before the match, this should be my 3rd point from three matches.

So armed with a near certain 3-0 result so far we come to the Suns at home to the hapless Bulldogs. This match represents my first real danger of having my perfect run coming to a shuddering halt. The Suns SHOULD win especially being at home but the Bulldogs are capable of causing a minor upset. I place it a 40% chance that I will be denied this 4th point. I however remain hopeful for a 4th point from 4 games.

This brings me to the next match. My heart is very heavy. I have very bad feelings. My beloved Maggies coming up against those Sirian star-kins - remember my riddle from the last round?? Those puddy Cats!! And I really hate to say this but I think those Sirians kins will prevail. I hope I am wrong but I really have to face reality as painful as it is. Should I submit to team loyalty or to the harsh reality of being in a cut throat competition..... hmmmmmm...... I could go with team loyalty and pick the Maggies, I mean they COULD win, they are capable of winning provided they play at their very best and Geelong makes a few mistakes along the way...... but I am in a tipping COMPETITION, this is not just fun and games, there is MOOLAH involved and you have to be in the top 6 for a share of the loot. I am only two spots outside the 6 the only reason being my slightly higher points variance, it is only the higher points variance that is keeping me out of the 6. Gaining just one extra point at the expense of those above me will see me back into the top 6..... so is it worth selling out my soul for this...... hmmmmmmmm....... very difficult decision...... so heart breaking...... I so want my Maggies to win.... I am so torn..... oooohhhhh............

Last but not least for today's portion of the round..... tonight's match in Sydney, the Swans against the Dockers. A tough one to pick, probably the toughest one to pick notwithstanding the sentiments of the Puddy Cats Maggies match!! On paper the Swans should get over the line but I reckon it could go either way with no near-certainties until well into the final term. A toss of the coin as to whom my tip should fall to there.

So with a 3-0 results being a near certainty up until late in the afternoon I am faced with three consecutive matches that could bring my perfect run to an end. Odds are that one or two of the matches will see me miss out on points. So just on probability theory I could be by the end of the evening be facing up to a 4-2 result, or perhaps a slightly more comfortable 5-1 result. Either way it's going to be touch and go.........


No comments:

Post a Comment