Friday 3 May 2013

Round 6

It looks like 4 or 5 matches are listed as potentially one-sided with very short odds listed for the likely winner, but as mother would always say, "never say never"!! This is especially so when it comes to football!! I relate to a match back in the dim dark past before there was any AFL, in those days there were just the VFL and the WAFL with very fierce rivalry between the two, and no internet, no blogs, and no mobile devices nor even computers for keeping track of match progress, just the old fashioned radio!!!! And there were no Friday night matches nor Sunday matches, they were all played on Saturday afternoon, so it was our Saturday afternoon ritual to have the radio tuned in to the match of choice, with all four matches covered by each of four radio stations. Anyway in the WAFL I was a Demon supporter, that is Perth Demons, they had just won a premiership the previous year and were on target to win another one this particular year. We were going great guns winning nearly every week. Mother however was a Swan Districts supporter, and they were at the opposite end of the spectrum, cellar dwellers, the easy-beats of the competition. Playing against Swan District means an almost certain win to whoever was fortunate enough to play them that week!! So when it came to Demons verses Swans everyone expected the Demons to walk all over them in a canter, all they had to do was just turn up and play kick to kick!!! We were so certain that the Demons would win that I didn't even bother switching the radio on. Mother was out somewhere and I was home. When mother came back and started giving me a hard time for Swans beating the Demons I thought she was having me on!!!! That was until I switched on the radio and indeed it was so. The bottom team Swans had beaten the top team Demons!!!! That was the upset of the century!!! And mother didn't let me live it down for the rest of the bloody season!!!!! So yes upsets DO occur, and bottom teams DO beat top teams on occasion. The Giants COULD beat the Bombers tomorrow although with 99.99% of all other tipsters I have tipped the Bombers!!

Tonight's match I am very nervous about. Magpies against the Saints. The Maggies have made at least 5 changes to their team, thats about a quarter of the team. So I am not so sure if the Maggies will win although virtually every tipsters have tipped them. It will be I think much closer than expected, and being a points variance match I once again nominated a low points margin. If not for being a Maggie fan I'd probably pick the Saints, but I am a Maggies fan and they do have a fair chance of winning so I'd feel bad if the Maggies did win and I didn't pick them. So really only for this reason I pick the Maggies!!

First match tomorrow, top team versus bottom, I have picked the Bombers but just keep in mind the story I shared above ;) hehe

Kangaroos and Port Power, a hard one to pick in spite of Port's current winning form. However they haven't had things all their way, and the Kangaroos are probably due for a win. The bookies actually have the Kangaroos at shorter odds. One factor being that the match is in the frosty isle of Tasmania. However I lean towards the Port in spite of all these factors.

Adelaide Crows at home to the Hawks. I think a closer match than some will give credit for, the Hawks doing enough in the final term to secure a win.

Geelong takes on Richmond who will be desperate for a win to atone for last week's controversy when the match was in my opinion stolen from them. However the Cats are a different kettle of fish to the Dockers and should be carrying the higher score when it matters - at the final siren.

Last but not least for the Saturday matches - Fremantle makes the trek to the land of the banana benders to take on the Suns. A toss of the coin here. Freo has some team members out of action, and the Suns are coming off their biggest win last week. If I manage a perfect tipping record up until then, this match will potentially spoil the party. But since I have to tip someone, well the Dockers with fingers and everything else crossed.....

More tomorrow night after the matches......

No comments:

Post a Comment