Sunday 19 May 2013

Round 8 - Lessons Learned

Oh what an interesting round it has been. Carlton ended up with a good win against Port, Richmond overcoming a much improved Demons, and the Crows scoring a good win over the Saints. The Demons have been improving lately and are perhaps worthy of serious consideration at least in regards to teams in the bottom half. As for the Bombers well that is another story altogether. They almost let the bloody Giants beat them, it was only that the Bombers kicked away in the final term that gotten them that match, and that is more to do with the Giant's inexperience rather than the Bomber's form. Ever since then they have been struggling, but even so we all thought they would overcome the Lions with at least a reasonable effort. All 100% of our office competition members have picked the Bombers so their loss alone made no difference whatsoever to our relative rankings. Nevertheless I think they will think twice about picking them next week against the Tigers, and I would have to say that my early tip will be the Tigers. Something meanwhile could happen to change my mind but I don't think so.

The Maggies on the other hand.... ooohhhh yes the Maggies!!!!! Trust the Maggies to end the puddy cats winning streak. I think we did that last year if my memory serves me correct. The Maggies have a bit of a history of spoiling teams' winning streak!! hehe!!! But yeah they have proved that they can beat teams in the top 4, indeed in the top 1 hehe!!! Furthermore what really proved the Maggies was the fact that in spite of the Puddy Cats kicking away in the 2nd half and staying in the lead for much of the final term, the Maggies still came back at them, and they ended up winning by that 6 points! So yes the Maggies are a top team, they are better than their current position on the ladder would indicate, that being 8th spot. Yeah I am proud of them. So lesson 1 is not to pick the Bombers, and lesson 2 is always pick the Maggies!!! Everyone else in our tipping comp except one all hates the Maggies so they never pick them, not unless they play the Giants or something and even then they be secretly hoping that the Maggies would get beaten!! Only one other comp member is a Maggie supporter but she is not in the top 10 or 11. So by picking the Maggies each week, and they will win more often than not.... I mean they ARE a top team and are coming good now.... so they will win more often than not, and so since no one else will pick them, it should ultimately help me up the rankings. Indeed in the years prior to mother's death it was a main reason why I did so well in the competition with always winning money, I would always pick the Maggies while no one else does so!! hehe!! haha!!! So lesson 2, not to hesitate in picking the Maggies. As of this round the Bombers are just a win above the Maggies on the ladder, so come next week when the Maggies beat Sydney and the Tigers beat the Bombers, both teams will be on level peggings with only the Bombers superior percentage keeping them above us.

Anyway I ended up with 7 points. Oh yes we do get awarded a point for drawn results. So all tipsters who tipped in the Sydney/Freo match all received a point regardless of who they picked. I guess this makes sense as there are no provisions in the electronic tipping system for picking draws. In submitting our tips, the tips are in regard of a win by one team over another, not any tied results. So I guess they figured it is fair to award us a point for matches with tied results regardless of who we picked.

In any case my 7 points was enough to get me back into the top 6, albeit in 6th spot. The person in top spot now has 56 points. The next four spots are occupied with persons all on 55 points with only the points variance separating them. The final spot is occupied by ME!!!! I am on 54 points, as is the person below me in 7th spot but I actually have a lower points variance. Usually the points variance has been my achilles heel but this time for some reason I managed to snag it that I do indeed have one of the lowest variance of the top 12, and I'd be in 2nd spot if I had scored one more point. Indeed below us two on 54 there are a further 5 comp members on 53 points, so I guess you could say it is a battle of the top 12.

Anyway next week is another week, and what they say about politics is also true about tipping competions - a week is a long time! Round 9 will indeed tell another story, just how different the story remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment