Wednesday 27 March 2013

Sally suffers no more

Oh what a day it was....... Sally passed away peacefully approx 9am yesterday - March 27 2013 - Full Moon day and the 2nd day of Passover.

I woke up with the birds as usual on that day.... and was just finishing breakfast and planning to be online a bit and a bit of work around the house in the morning before heading off to the hospital for my usual afternoon visit. Alas! It was not to be. Not long after 9am I received THAT CALL!!! Sally had just passed away.

So I headed up to the hospital to see her as I needed to see it for myself and was soon joined by other family members. Oh she looked so peaceful laying there apart from the fact her skin lost a bit of color, i guess it what happens when one dies. We spent a bit of time paying our last respects then we all headed down to the hospital cafe for a drink and a bite to eat. And after a while we made our first inquiries in regards to her funeral. As per family tradition she will be cremated. We will have a church minister or pastor take the service as that is what Sally would want. Then by around lunch time I was back home again and trying to come to terms with what had just happened.

Sally was listed as an organ donor, and so it wasn't long before I received the call in regards to donating her organs. Unfortunately due to the blood infection all her organs were shat to pieces, the only thing left that was still healthy were her eyes - those beautiful brown eyes - or more specifically the corneas. And so as the nearest kin I was the one to be going through formalities over the phone, being asked all these questions which I guess is legally required, and now all is set in motion for her corneas to be donated allowing two people to be able to have their sight restored.

So today is another day, and being payday, my plan is to go to the mall for a bit of shopping. Of course I need only buy for myself now, no longer needing to buy for Sally, and no longer needing to order bandages and other medical supplies as I have so regularly done so for longer than I care to remember!! No more trips to the medical supplies shop!!

There will probably be other formalities I will have to attend to today sometimes. I am leaving most of the arrangements to Debra and Pasco as I really have no idea what to do and what to expect. It's not like I have a nearest kin die on me every day!! Of course Pasco would have gone through all this before with mother's death. I chose the funeral company and the place of the service then leaving it to Debra and Pasco to make the arrangements, so probably will have phone calls through the day for me to make the important decisions then leaving them to sort out the gory details. I think within the next couple of days or so we will all meet with the funeral director to discuss details.

Now begins my life without Sally..... I did say that changes in my life usually occurs around Passover each year, I just didn't know that the changes this year would be quite so drastic!!!!!!

Life goes on.... and that includes football..... more of my football musings a bit later on.....




No comments:

Post a Comment