Thursday 28 March 2013

Beginning life without Sally

First the football results and it looks like my close game bad luck is destined to continue from last year when in every close match decided by less than a goal (6 points) the team i did NOT pick would be the winner. Last night Richmond beat Carlton by 5 points and guess who I picked? - bloody Carlton!!!!! So my current win-loss standings in the tipping is 1-2. Now I have to sit on this for a whole day cos being Good Friday there are no matches. I will have to wait until Saturday afternoon before I have the chance to salvage this mini-catastrophe, but I SHOULD get a point from that match - Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions, and on paper Brisbane should canter over the finish line with lengths to spare! Of course it could be a different story once the teams gets out onto the realities of the field, but at least on paper it should be a near-certain result which would bring my record to 2-2.

Anyway it was a quiet day yesterday with no phone calls from the family of this side of the continent which I am kinda glad about cos it would have been to do with funeral arrangements and i kinda needed a break. I can't imagine too much would be done today being Good Friday and everything is shut down, all of the shops are closed apart from convenience stores so probably everything else is shut down. I think the meeting with the funeral director will take place over the weekend. Being Easter weekend does complicate matters a bit.

My sleeping patterns is out of whack, I drop in my tracks by 9pm and am up again by 3 or 4am. That be OK once I get back to work cos in the days before Sally gotten this seriously sick I'd be up by 5am arriving at work by 7am and leaving 3:30pm, the earliest allowed time under our flexi-time arrangements. More recently I still be getting up at 5am but due to the care Sally needed, changing of bandages, pads, towels, etc, and dealing with the laundry, I be lucky to make it to work by 8am, then I'd have to come home during my lunch break for more bandages and pads changes, cleaning Sally up, etc, and so in order to get my 7.5 hours in I'd have to work until 5pm. Now of course I be free to start working from 7am again and getting off at 3:30pm. In due time I would be back on my bike. I have been off my bike for over two years due to the fact that I often needed to race home from work at all times to attend to Sally plus I was constantly exhausted so could not have coped with riding my bicycle. But now I can get back on my bike although I will take my time about it, probably be several weeks, and my bike will probably need a service as it had been sitting in the garage growing cobwebs for over two years. It's an expensive bike, cost me over $700, so it's not just any ole bike that you get from K-Mart!! So it will need a professional service at a bike shop, gone are the days when I would maintain my bike on my own.

So yesterday I was up before dawn, and after having breakfast and getting online for a bit, I went to the shops to spend my paypacket. The shops was more busy than usual as people seem to panic buy owing to the fact that the shops would be closed all day the next day - one of two days of the year when the shops are not open, the other day being Xmas Day. It was forever to get into the parking lot and had to walk for miles, even at the little local mall that has only two supermarkets and no other major stores just little specialty shops. So the shopping trip took the rest of the morning, and it was a quiet afternoon at home. Kept myself busy, tidying up the house. Had been getting all the supplies of bandages, pads, and other medical supplies together. It is enough to fill two large boxes which are now temporarily located in her craft room. I'm yet to figure out what to do with them all as obviously Sally won't be needing them anymore!!! So far the Living Room is now pretty well cleaned up. The hospital will probably in due time make arrangements to pick up her electric recliner chair, it was basically a lifetime loan item from the hospital, and it would be returned to the hospital after the end of her life. It is a huge chair taking up much of the Living Room!! Once the chair is gone the Living Room will be very empty, there are no couches due to both lack of room and the fact that since 2 years ago Sally could not sit on a normal couch, she needed this special recliner chair. So we just have the coffee table, a dinning room table, a tank with hermit crabs in them, our wireless router from which we connect to the world, a few chairs, the large flatscreen TV, and our family heirloom - an antique glass cabinet that mother gave us just before she got sick, I understand it was passed down from Nanna and Pop, indeed I think it came from the farm, probably worth a bit but there is no way I will ever sell it, it is my only significant item from mother!! It has the original glass and everything else original. I should probably have it valued, then my contents insurance premium will probably go through the roof to cover this item!!

Then there is my computer room, and I had kept a lot of the surplus bandages and other supplies in there, only taking minimal supplies into the Living Room as needed. So spent much of the afternoon cleaning out my computer room and filling the two boxes worth of supplies. My room hasn't been this tidy in ages!! Mother would be pleased. She would always be tidying my room back in my childhood and teen years, and since her death I'd occasionally hear objects in my room being moved, as if mother was there trying to clean my room. I felt her spirit had come at times hence the objects being moved!! So all that is left to do in my room are the cupboards and shelves, much of it containing surplus items of Sally. Then there is her craft room which she hadn't set foot in for many months due to her mobility problems. Then my bedroom which had Sally's spare linen stored for when they needed changing in her chair. She lived and slept in her chair, she couldn't sleep in our bed as she was unable to get up from the bed due to it being too low and also she can't sleep flat as it caused her breathing difficulties, she always needed to sleep in a reclined position hence her chair. So for two years she slept in her chair, there be linen, sheets, blankets, etc, and they'd needed changing regularly, so the surplus were kept in my bedroom. And finally the garage which has a lot of Sally's surplus craft items that she was planning to use before she got sick. So the next few weeks during my spare time will be spent cleaning and organizing the house room by room.

Anyway we shall see how today pans out........


No comments:

Post a Comment