Thursday 28 March 2013

Football - the rest of round 1

Here the moment of truth is about to arrive, the last seven games of round 1. First round tips are always the most difficult to make and I was happy with my 1-1 result last week. Now if I can just get another 3 or 4 points from 7, about 50% correct, that would make me reasonably happy and give me a reasonable start for the season that I can build on as this year's team forms becomes more obvious. But with the Easter weekend this round is most drawn out so I will be anxious for longer. We have tonight's game, Carlton and Richmond, and most seem to figure Carlton should win. Then I have to wait a whole day for the next match owing to the fact that there are no matches on Good Friday, said to be the most holy day on the Christian calendar, never mind that according to historical data and the Jewish calendar Jesus' death didn't even occur on a Friday - but as they say, we won't let facts get in the way of a good story even though I will be deprived of a football match, and more nail biting if I miss tonight's tip which is Carlton.

A couple of games on Saturday seems to be no brainers on paper - the only way the Lions would lose against the Bulldogs is if they just don't turn up LOL, and the same applies for Sydney over GWS. If I don't get two points out of those matches then probably no one else will either. Gold Coast won't be so easy to beat this year. Melbourne and Port Adelaide very much toss of a coin, and I hope I don't repeat my bad luck record from last year - close games by less than 6 points usually goes to the team that I did NOT pick!! As for North Melbourne and my beloved Magpies, well slightly biased here, but if the Magpies don't win that one I will be the man on Mars!! Finally on Easter Monday we have Hawthorn and Geelong, not as easy a pick as some would say - I have my money, well at least my tip, on Hawthorn but it seems destined to be touch and go, and could decide whether I have a good round or a mediocre round.

Now for tonight's match...... just getting started.....

No comments:

Post a Comment