Saturday 21 February 2015

The Giants

Last weekend was a most memorable weekend. The Giants were in town. Well to explain this, here's one of the vids I shot when I went and saw them in the city....


They were here from Friday to Sunday. I took the day off work on Friday so I could see them. I rode my bicycle to the train station and caught the train into town, then I followed them as they marched through the streets. There were two shows each day but I just went for the morning show. The afternoon show went into the night and I didn't relish the idea of catching trains and riding home in the dark. Here's another shot from Friday, this was when she was on the boat.....


As expected there was a huge crowd. The show began at Langley Park and so was able to follow them around the park. However when they went into the city streets, the crowd all funneled into the street with nowhere to go, so once the giants passed, the crown were all packed into the street like sardines which really slowed the movement down, and was getting further and further behind the giant. So I needed a new strategy. The first side street I came to, I went down there and cut through the back streets to a vantage point along the route, and was far enough ahead to be able to get a good spot. I waited for the giants to pass by, then went up the next side street to another vantage point, and so on until I reached the giant's resting spot where she rested until the next show.

This is the "little" girl resting..... "little" being a relative term !!!!


Then on Saturday I saw the other giant, the diver which was the girl's uncle. The crowd was even bigger, and we all somehow packed into Forrest Chase outside the old Perth station to wait for him to wake up. I got burnt to a crisp for my troubles in spite of me wearing a hat, I think the radiation from the Sun bounced off the pavement. However a few people fainted or gotten sun stroke, the medical post was kept very busy. One guy near me fainted, and it was only a couple of minutes before the paramedics arrived, he turned out to be fine.

After he woke up, I followed him along the route, using the same strategy as before, cutting through back streets to get good vantage points further along. This vid is of him getting a drink, and I gotten drenched in the process!!!


And this is him walking..... see how big he is......



Sunday was the final show, thankfully back at Langley Park. Here the two giants together....


Their final walk around the park.....


The "little" girl waving us goodbye....


And them being loaded onto the boat for their farewell trip down the river.....


I normally don't go to shows on my own but I felt I just had to see them!! They're from France and they toured cities worldwide but it was their first trip to Australia and they actually came to Perth!!!! Indeed Perth was their only visit!! Usually we miss out on top shows like this, they all usually go to the east coast!! But not this time, this was one of the rare occasions that such a great show came to Perth!!!!

We were told about 1.4 million people in total came to see them, that is more than half the population of Perth!! Getting home after the show was a challenge, the trains were packed, but I actually managed to get on a train within 30 mins of arriving at the station, we were just packed like sardines. I usually don't like crowds, but on this occasion it was well worth the suffering. It was just an amazing show, truly once in a lifetime experience, I will not forget for a very long time!!!!!

So yes.... was kept  busy last weekend!!!!..... now back to reality.......

Other things happening.... will share later.....



























No comments:

Post a Comment